Rory McIlroy: PGA Tour 'Almost Knew Before the Players Did' That LIV Funding Was Going
Golf

Rory McIlroy: PGA Tour 'Almost Knew Before the Players Did' That LIV Funding Was Going

19 May 2026 3 min readBy Golf News Desk (AI-assisted)

Asked about Saudi Arabia's decision to pull LIV Golf funding after 2026, Rory McIlroy offered no sympathy at his pre-PGA Championship press conference. Instead, the Masters champion suggested PGA Tour insiders had been hearing about the collapse since March — well before LIV's own players were told.

Key Takeaways

  • 1.Asked at his Tuesday press conference about Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund withdrawing its financial backing of LIV Golf at the end of the 2026 season, the Masters champion offered something closer to a smirk than a sympathy card.
  • 2."I feel like a lot of us in this room, including me, we almost knew before the players did that this was going to happen," McIlroy told reporters.
  • 3.The writing was on the wall." It was a striking line for two reasons.

Rory McIlroy did not arrive at Aronimink last week in a mood to comfort anyone on the other side of professional golf's three-year cold war. Asked at his Tuesday press conference about Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund withdrawing its financial backing of LIV Golf at the end of the 2026 season, the Masters champion offered something closer to a smirk than a sympathy card.

"I feel like a lot of us in this room, including me, we almost knew before the players did that this was going to happen," McIlroy told reporters. "I was hearing about this back in March. The writing was on the wall."

It was a striking line for two reasons. The first is what it implies about the information flow between the PGA Tour and the players who walked away. The second is what it says about a leverage shift that the LIV defectors did not see coming. McIlroy, for years the most consistent and public defender of the PGA Tour's position through the breakaway era, has been able to read the room earlier than most.

LIV CEO Scott O'Neil confirmed the news to his own players in Virginia in early May, well after McIlroy and his peers had reportedly begun piecing it together. The PIF had poured a reported figure north of $5 billion into the experiment, including roughly $1 billion in guaranteed player contracts. The returns, by every public metric — television ratings, sponsor interest, world-ranking traction — had been disappointing. When the geopolitical and strategic priorities of the kingdom shifted earlier in 2026, professional golf was no longer judged a strategic asset worth subsidising indefinitely.

McIlroy was asked earlier in the spring about a back-channel conversation he had with the PIF governor, after which he said publicly that the governor "loves the game." That comment looks different in retrospect. So does McIlroy's broader silence on LIV for much of the 2026 season. Without saying so directly, he has spent months operating as if the answer was already settled.

What he said at Aronimink last week was effectively the next sentence in that argument. The geopolitical landscape, McIlroy noted, has changed. The kingdom owns Premier League and tennis assets, is pouring billions into artificial intelligence and the NEOM project, and reached the obvious conclusion that men's professional golf — a fractured, lower-yielding asset — was no longer worth funding at LIV's cost base. The result for LIV players, by McIlroy's framing, is being delivered to them rather than negotiated.

The optics inside the locker room at Aronimink are not lost on anyone in the game. PGA Tour loyalists who turned down hundreds of millions to stay — Scottie Scheffler and Justin Thomas, prominent among them — spent the week walking the grounds with the unmistakable body language of vindication. Their decisions in 2022 and 2023 to take fewer guarantees and stay loyal to the established tour have aged into the kind of judgment call that becomes a defining career chapter.

McIlroy, for his part, has not gone in for triumphalism. He has won the Masters, he is the world's best-known active golfer, and he has now publicly confirmed that he, along with much of the press room, was operating with information the LIV players were not given. He has earned the right to deliver that line with a smile, and at Aronimink last Tuesday, he did.

The PGA Tour holds the leverage. The LIV defectors are negotiating their next moves with checks that, on current trajectory, may not clear at the end of 2026. McIlroy is, by his own admission, two months ahead of the people on the other side of the table — and he has chosen, for now, not to pretend otherwise.

---

*Originally published on [Golf News Global](https://golfnews.global/article/rory-mcilroy-knew-before-liv-players-pif-funding-aronimink-press-conference). Visit for full coverage.*