Keyshawn Davis Vows Stoppage in Albright Rematch: 'I'm Going to Knock Him Out in 2026'
Sports

Keyshawn Davis Vows Stoppage in Albright Rematch: 'I'm Going to Knock Him Out in 2026'

17 May 2026 3 min readBy Sports News Desk (AI-assisted)

WBO lightweight champion Keyshawn Davis says he answered Nahir Albright's phone call to settle a rivalry that has lingered since their disputed first encounter, and he is promising fans a far more emphatic ending the second time around.

Key Takeaways

  • 1.The American champion, unbeaten as a professional, walks into Saturday's contest under the lights of a packed arena with the same posture he carried into the first fight — that of a finisher rather than a points winner.
  • 2."I'm going to knock him out in 2026." It is a bold promise from a fighter who has built his platform on hand speed and ring intelligence rather than raw power, but Davis insists the version of himself who walks to the ring this weekend is operating at a different level.
  • 3."We're here because Nahir did a great job against Frank Martin, his people kept calling my people, and we picked up his phone call," Davis said in the build-up to fight week.

Keyshawn Davis says he answered the phone for one reason — to put a definitive ending on the Nahir Albright story.

The WBO lightweight world champion returns to the ring on Saturday in a rematch many in the boxing world saw as inevitable, even if Davis himself was not initially eager to revisit the matchup. Albright's victory over Frank Martin earlier this year pushed the rematch back to the top of the lightweight division's to-do list, and Davis says he could not ignore the persistence.

"We're here because Nahir did a great job against Frank Martin, his people kept calling my people, and we picked up his phone call," Davis said in the build-up to fight week.

The American champion, unbeaten as a professional, walks into Saturday's contest under the lights of a packed arena with the same posture he carried into the first fight — that of a finisher rather than a points winner. Davis has made no secret of the fact that he viewed the first decision as a formality, and he believes the only outstanding business is the knockout he failed to secure on the first attempt.

"I left no doubt in the last fight – everyone knew I won," Davis said. "I'm going to knock him out in 2026."

It is a bold promise from a fighter who has built his platform on hand speed and ring intelligence rather than raw power, but Davis insists the version of himself who walks to the ring this weekend is operating at a different level. Long camp, sharper sparring partners, and the freedom of being a recognised world champion all factor into a confidence that has been impossible for him to hide during fight week.

"I'm happy. I have a great opportunity to perform under these bright lights," he said.

Albright, for his part, has stayed measured. The Philadelphia southpaw believes the first fight was closer than the scorecards suggested and has trained accordingly, drilling rounds designed to drag Davis into deeper waters than he is used to operating in. He has spoken about the chance to upset boxing's pecking order and put Davis back into the queue alongside the rest of the lightweight chasing pack.

Davis, however, has been unwilling to share the conversation. Asked again about the prospect of going twelve rounds, he closed the subject.

"God willing, I'm going to get the stoppage. Anyone who steps into a ring with me, I'm going to stop them," Davis said. "I can stop anyone who gets in the ring with me."

A decisive performance puts Davis back into the conversation for unification fights at lightweight, where the division has lacked a single dominant figure since Gervonta Davis's move to higher weight. A defeat, or even a second contested result, leaves him locked into a third meeting that nobody on his side wants.

For the moment, the champion is selling certainty. By the time the final bell rings on Saturday, that certainty will either be a punchline or a prophecy.